Out Of State and Overseas Patients
FACIAL COSMETIC & RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY FOR NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL PATIENTS
The world is now a small place: we welcome patients from around the globe. We have treated cosmetic and reconstructive patients from most of the States in the USA and from many countries worldwide. We help our patients from the rest of the United States and our International patients in several ways:
- Video reviews of conditions can be arranged
- Photographs and clinical information can be e-mailed to us by the prospective patient or referring surgeon
- When Dr. Patel is lecturing or operating in other States or Countries, we can arrange for patients to meet and be examined by him
- As Dr. Patel has trained residents and fellows from many countries around the world, he can arrange for his prior fellows to see and examine you locally
Many patients will travel to be treated by us here as Utah is a well-known holiday destination with many beautiful recreation areas. Our links below will connect you to local hotels where many of our patients find it convenient to stay. If you let the hotels know you are coming to have surgery by us, they often have discounted promotional rates for our patients.
WHAT IS A BROWLIFT
With aging and sun damage, the forehead skin loses its elasticity and the brows descend. This results in horizontal forehead lines, lower brow positions, and
horizontal and vertical frown lines. This combination can give us a “tired” look and can also exacerbate upper eyelid heaviness. The changes can also give one a prematurely aged look. In a properly performed browlift, these changes are improved. The aim is to improve the horizontal forehead wrinkles, the frown lines between the brows and to elevate the brows and change the shape of the brows into a more pleasing arch.
Analysis of the youthful face allows us to determine what is possible and how. Attention is paid not just to tissue laxity and ptosis, but to tissue fullness, position, arches, curves, prominences, hollows and proportions.
There is no such thing as the “standard facelift” as it simply gives a ho-hum result without the beauty inherent in all of us. Look at our method of analysis, planning and techniques and review our results to get an idea of what is possible and our approach.
Although the world is now a much smaller place, certain political and physical changes have made it a less friendly place than of yore! We will make every effort to make your visit and stay as happy and comfortable as possible. To that end, international patients need to plan their visit well ahead of time. Once we have made a proper diagnosis and proposed a treatment plan, you will need written documentation from Dr. Patel to apply for visas to come to the United States for medical treatment. As the visa applications have become somewhat more onerous for certain countries,
please plan to apply for visas well ahead of your visit.
“Well, the last time I had a picture taken I could hardly see my eyes because of the weight of heavy eyelid. Then I paid attention to how I was actually using my eyes and I really noticed when I was looking at anything especially the computer I was straining my forehead to see better. Since I have had it done I no longer have to lift the forehead and tilt my head to see. It is amazing! I love…” D. Rock 63 Yrs Old with Fat Droopy Eyes – Salt Lake City, UT
If you are an international surgeon visiting us, please ensure you have corresponded with Dr. Patel’s international division: the division arranges all itineraries well ahead of time. You may need to submit an application a year ahead of your desired visit. My academic office will ask you to send in your curriculum vitae, three references and a cover letter of the reason for your visit. A personal introduction by a surgeon trained by Dr. Patel will smooth the process! We have a large group of “family of surgeons” now, scattered all over the globe. My fellows and ex-fellows maintain a healthy relationship via the internet and we frequently arrange to meet in many exotic locations around the world to operate, lecture, discuss or sail!
SENDING PHOTOGRAPHS FOR US TO REVIEW
PATIENTS FROM THE REST OF THE UNITED STATES
HOW TO TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS
Although the best photographs are taken with an SLR camera, these days other digital cameras and cell phones also take excellent photographs. If your camera or cell phone allows you a setting called a “Macro” setting, please put the camera on that “Macro” setting.
- No selfies! But comments help…
- This is what she wanted. And she knew it!
- We managed to help her and give her a nice long-term result.
STEP BY STEP
- Stand in front of a blue (light blue to Oxford blue are best) background (a towel or sheet will suffice)
- Have the photographer stand back to get the needed framing.
- You can use the flash but it is very helpful to take two sets: one with a flash and another without a flash but indirect light like light through a window or from a light from the side (but not behind you).
- All photographs must be taken with the face relaxed. When necessary, one photograph with you smiling but looking straight into the camera may be helpful, especially if trauma is involved.
- Keep your head level: no posing!
- When showing me your brows or eyelids, relax your brows.
- Close-up photos of brows and eyelids can be taken as shown in the second set below.
- If you are sending photographs for assessment for a face and neck lift, please send us photographs of yourself from the age of 18 onwards. In particular, if you have any photographs where you think “boy I looked great then!”, then please send us a copy of that photographs. We all look brilliant at 18 years, but ladies often look their best in their 30’s and in some cases at other ages.
HOW TO TAKE A FULL FACE SEQUENCE OF PHOTOGRAPHS
SCHEDULE YOUR CONSULT TODAY
With a 3-D procedure, there are several layer of sutures, accurately placed to give the lifting, tightening and filling, without leaving any tell-tale pull-lines. Some are slow dissolving sutures, others are more permanent. The skin sutures are generally removed between 7 and 14 days.
Bleeding is not common as we pay close attention to proper hemostasis. On rare occasions, a small hematoma may collect.
Everyone will experience some numbness in the face: this resolves over weeks to months. This occurs because of the dissection of the face. This is not a complication.
Because of the dissection and repositioning of the tissues, it is common for there to be small differences in the smile between the right and left sides: this is usually only noticeable to the patient and to Dr. Patel! It recovers over a few weeks.
All faces have asymmetry and there will be some degree of asymmetry. This is to be expected.
Permanent weakness of nerves and muscles is rare.
The scars are usually very well hidden. However, some patients may have a tendency to cause hypertrophic scarring: in such cases, certain lasers and treatments will help. By-and-large, scars are rarely a problem. With Caucasian skin, pinkness of scars is to be expected for several weeks. With darker skin, some hyperpigmentation may occur.
In the first few days, everyone will experience some degree of dryness and blurry vision. You will also feel that your lids look a little tight on the outer corner where you will also feel some of the deeper sutures if you put your finger there: this is of no concern. The tightness and the bumps under the skin settle over a few weeks.
More serious complications which are very rare include excessive bleeding, hemorrhage and loss of vision.
VEIW OUR EVER-EXPANDING COLLECTION OF EDUCATIONAL, TECHNIQUE AND TEACHING VIDEOS
WE ARE HERE FOR YOU
CONTACT DR. PATEL
Do you have questions or need more answers?
Dr. BCK Patel MD, FRCS
Salt Lake City, Utah 84106, USA
(801) 413-3599 (phone/text)
Dr. BCK Patel MD, FRCS
617 E Riverside Dr Suite 101
Saint George, UT 84790, USA